Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tribute to a great Malaysian icon

Sunday 26 July 2009

It was after the Hennessy party that I first heard of Yasmin Ahmad’s passing. I refused to believe it. I was hoping against hope that it was just another malicious rumour (like the 1st one) that Yasmin passed OUT not AWAY.

Checked the Internet first thing when I got back and saw that Bernama already ran the story. I was devastated. Called Susan at 4am and started babbling away that Yasmin is really gone. She had always been my idol, a true saint that made me proud to be Malaysian.

I first saw her Petronas ads a long time ago and was amazed at the emotions she conjured out of us. Love, family values and racial harmony had always been her key message to all Malaysians.

I was most touched by the Raya ad (Aku Ingin Pulang) about the old father whom his kids made him eat alone outside with the cat because he kept messing things up in the house. It wasn’t his fault. He had arthritis. That’s NO way to treat your dad. I loved her and hated her at the same time, because she showed us that we are such horrid, cruel, selfish human beings, and there is so much more in this world than segregation and hate. I loved her for raising these issues but hated her (more likely hated myself) at the same time for how I felt about myself when I saw her ads.

Her relentless efforts in raising social issues through her films were extremely admirable, sweeping international awards left and right, but criticism was right in her own backyard. Among many, MALAYSIANS accused her of corrupting culture with her ideals of mixing languages (Chinese, Malay, Manglish, Tamil) and questioned her faith as there were many scenes in her movies that certain parties were uncomfortable with.

The scene in Gubra where the Muslim cleric on the way to the mosque in his songkok & sarong patted a dog on the road and asked him to move aside as he will be hit by a car - remains etched in my mind.


The scene in Gubra where the imam patted the dog on the street

Although I only had the privilege of meeting and chatting with her for two hours at her Leo Burnett office (I was interviewing her for a Merdeka cover - Tan Hong Ming in Love - and boy was I so extremely excited to be meeting her for the first time. I think I told everyone about it!), she made me feel so comfortable, as though she had known me for years. There’s no pretence in that lady. No “I’m a big shot director and you’re a small time reporter”. She mad me feel as though I was important. That we were all just the same. She made me feel special.



Yasmin & I after the interview at her office



The Merdeka cover I did in 2007

I’ve met her at several events after that and was always excited to see her but never had the courage to say more than a shy hello. She never failed to reply with a big warm smile.

Her loss is a great one. To the country, the nation, humankind and the world. I don’t think there would be anybody close to replacing her and it’s a great loss that her work is not finished here. I only hope that her passing will make us realise that we’re taking everything we have for granted. Racial harmony in our country is a gift that is unique in this world. Yes, there are multi-races living together in other parts of the world but our country is the only one that has different races living harmoniously. Yasmin, you will be missed and I hope we will continue to make you proud.

Yasmin, may you rest in peace in Heaven.

From the heart,

A proud Malaysian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you...