Saturday, July 18, 2009

RWMF 2009 - Day 2

Saturday 11 July 2009

Day 2 started off later with me getting up from bed at 11am. Cousin Tracy was supposed to pick me up at 12.30pm to balik kampung at Bau. We didn’t tell Babai & Sumuk (grandpa & gandma in Bidayuh), & aunty uncles we were coming so it was a nice surprise as I haven’t gone back in 2 years.

Bit hard to understand Sumuk as she slighty nyanyuk already but Babai’s malay was still intelligible. Met Uncle Jo & his wife Auntie Florence at the farm behind & she gave me a dragonfruit to take home (which I made to tuak).


Visited Babai’s old wooden house (sadly, it was demolished cause the maintenance was too high) but the old rice mill hut still remained. All in all, good visit and was nice to go back. Missed today’s workshops though but nvm.



Concert started off with Malaysian band Asika which was pretty decent but since I was tired, I skipped their performance. Lan E Tuyang came on again and it was Oudaden from Morocco next. Their dancer with his big cheeky smile made the performance entertaining.

Finnish band Jouhiorkesteri was next with their interesting traditional string instruments. Moana and the Tribe followed after that. Maori warriors are always good fun to watch and Moana had such a strong woman personality. Very proud of their land and heritage these people. Enjoyed their set.

Moana and the Tribe - New Zealand
Jeff and Vida from the USA came on with their western country and Portugese Dazkarieh rocked the night away towards the end. They had a HOT HOT chick there.

Hot Portugese chick from Dazkarieh

Met some new friends too - Vinod, Vignesh, Shaqti & her bf

The crew - with some missing

After the concert, we went over to the Iban longhouse again to try the sago worms I brought back from Satok market. I asked the Iban boys to cook them and he said ‘makan saja la hidup’, picked up the fat squirmy bugger and chomped it. *gasp!*

My turn. Couldn’t do it so Khang made the first move and tried it. Ok what! He said. Er.. my turn. Got called a useless half Sarawakian so HAD to try la.. safe face ma.. It’s actually not too bad. Bit squishy but taste ok if I didn’t know it was a worm. Didn’t like the hard head coz it got stuck in my teeth!

I’ll remember this for sure :P

Fat juicy sago worms
Khang having a go

Me having a go

Posing with an Iban warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you...