Monday, June 22, 2009

Just like home

Saturday 20 June 2009

Woke up nice and early for a good hearty breakfast of scramble eggs, toast & sausages. Awesome food they got here. Met the owner, Filipino Agnes who owns the place with her American hubby & Janet Yeo's family. Everyone's so friendly and casual here it felt just like our own home. Most of the staff (mainly hospitable Filipinos) have been there since they opened 10 years ago. They knew us by name as Riders Lodge only has 27 rooms.


Breakfast at the terrace



Our lovely room


I really thought the place was at least 50 years old - used during the Colonial days for some English estate manager's home. The front of the mansion resembled the ranch in the 1978 Dallas TV series while the veranda looked like something out of the Australian bush. Agnes said she wanted the place to look like it has been here for a while and 'lived-in'. Well, she succeeded in doing just that. The place is beautifully maintained.



The front of Riders Lodge



The main house from the back

They even had deck chairs for those who wanted to catch some sun and a jacuzzi for those after-riding sore muscles. Most of the guests were expats from Singapore and Chinese Singaporeans. We didn't meet any Malaysians during the 3 days we were there.


The stables

The place has 52 stables and more than 30 horses. It was really clean too! No smell at all. The horses' bedding are changed daily.

Saying hello to the horses

Went for a trail ride through the plantations. I was on Kimba while Ivan was on Chester. Chester was getting fidgety as the skies were gloomy and started acting up towards the end of the trail. Kimba was stressed and reacted by rearing on his hind legs at a hill which I totally wasn't expecting. His actions caused me to loose balance and I slipped off the horse.


I remembered my last lesson with Lorraine of Berjaya Hills Horse Trails who told me to let go of everything if you happen to fall off a horse. All I saw were long legs and hooves from below. I quickly rolled out of the way. Thank god Kimba didn't accidentally stomp on me. I was lucky - I came out of it with only a small bruise on my knee.

Riding through the plantations

It wasn't Kimba's fault at all. If any, it was mine for not paying attention. We walked the horses back for the remainder of the journey.

Kimba


Had a dip in the jacuzzi before having a delicious dinner of Salmon and roast lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you...