Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dearly Departed

Wednesday 17 June 2009

I was a bit hesitant when I heard about the invite for the premier of Departures. No 1, I am NOT a Japanese film fan. No 2, I'm not too big on indie films either. But the media preview was to be held at GSC Signature @ The Gardens. I've never been there so curiousity got the better of me.

The cinema was nice! Very classy and sophisticated. They had 2 floors, the ground led to Gold Class and the upper floor, the signature halls. There are cafes and waiting lounges. Tickets are more expensive here too, cheapest being RM15 each.











A few pics of what it looks like. It's all couple seats with plenty of room and a side table where you can put your popcorn & stuff. The seats recline too! Invited my sis & brother along for the show.


The show is about a cellist who lost his job and moved back to his hometown. Desperate, he went for an interview which advertised that the person is required to work with departures. It was actually a misprint (most likely intended) for departed.

The story is about the struggles and stigma he faced, even from his own wife, for taking up the job. It's a very Yasmin Ahmad kind of film (she was in the house too!) where the director aims to portray a taboo topic in a new light. The message conveyed was that it was a very admirable job as the person brings peace to the family of the departed.

It's a touching drama. With comedy thrown in for laughs. Definately NOT for action & CGI junkies. Go watch it if you like a good story line. I know I, my sis & even my 19-year old brother did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you...