Wednesday, December 7, 2016

My Ashtanga Journey - Week 2

28 Nov - 4 Dec

Settling into the rhythm that is Canggu now. Early nights and even earlier Mysore mornings. Fernando wanted me to finish early so I can assist with the headstands so it's an even earlier start at 6.45am. It's not difficult to wake early here. I get up automatically before 6am each morning. Even on my day off which was quite annoying as I so wanted to sleep in! I'm enjoying my early starts as the shala is nice and quiet, and Lala comes around just before 7am and we get to help each other in Prasaritta Padotanasana C. Sometimes, it's a bit disruptive to my flow when I'm asked to stop to assist but I don't mind that much as I get to learn more in adjusting.

Afternoon sessions at Fernando's are coming along real well. This week was about adjusting the seated poses especially the Maricasanas. It takes quite a bit of technique and sometimes just brute strength but there's a fine line to know when to stop before we hurt someone. That's why these one on ones are so good. We get to implement what we learnt during the led afternoon classes with real students which is simply amazing.

Assisting in the afternoon led classes

Sunday session with Sara - we went through the same process as last week. Sara becomes the student and Rebecca and I took turns to lead her through the sequence and adjusting. We continued all the way to Navasana this time. It was my first time leading anyone through the seated poses and it was a great refresher to verbalise the sequence as I lead her through the standing poses. Confidence is definitely building and it's so useful to call out the poses in sanskrit. Definitely makes me remember them better.

Learnt about the 3 bandhas. We tried some kapalbhati pranayama and some nauli kriya. Didn't get the hang of it at all as I have no idea how to control and isolate my transversus abdominis. Sara said we could do some kapalbhati just before our practice to strengthen our uddiyana bandha.

My personal practice is improving so much and my body is really opening up. Right hip is opening more in supta kurmasana and my back and shoulders are also opening. Fingers are creeping up in kapotasana, from halfway of my feet to touching my heels! Was such a shock to touch them. Granted my elbows were not connected to the floor and I don't get to touch everyday but the opening it's doing to my back is amazing. Backbends have not been easy for me so to be able to do that with Fernando's assistance was just humbling. Fingers are slowly closing in for my right pasasana too. Working towards getting into the posture myself. It will come.

Haven't really gotten up to much other than yoga cause the days are short and the practice plus one on ones plus assisting takes up most of my time. Sean recommended a healer that does massage and bekam (cupping). He was real good but it was definitely NOT a relaxing massage. The bekam didn't hurt (it just looks like I've been abused) but the massage hurt like hell. My entire right side was tight. Felt like I've been hit by a bus the next morning. Thank god it was my off day. Was in no state to do any yoga :P

Bekam

Oh, and we went to a 1 1/2hour  Ecstatic Dance event at The Practice. Real interesting experience. It's exactly like a rave party - but at 11am without any alcohol or substances. Just partying to the music and being high on life. Cool experience.




Poke poke - Hawaiian delicacies

Nalu bowls - Too pretty to eat.

Some of the healthy yummy food I've been eating here in Canggu.

That's about it for my second week here. Till next week then.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you...