Friday, November 27, 2009

Running of the bulls

Tuesday 24 & Wed 25 Nov 09

We are in Pamplona! Famous for San Fermines, the running of the bull event that is held from 7-14 July every year. Events starts with some grand fireworks at 8am on 7th July from the city hall. Six bulls are then released from the paddock and thousands of crazy people will run ahead of them. Few people die every year because of this but the people still keep on coming.

I really wanted to walk the route so we took a little walk after dinner to the start of the route right through to the bull ring. The route’s about >800m or so and the run only lasts for 2-3 minutes. Awesome! Could almost feel the excitement of the reenactment. They even had a countdown to the next San Fermines right to the last second.

The town hall - where the party starts

The bull's route and the countdown to the next San Fermines

The final destination - the bull ring

What I was a bit upset about was the lack of souvenir shops in Pamplona. Maybe it was the streets I chose to walk down on but I couldn’t find a single shop to buy my fridge magnet! That and the lack of time as well. Was so disappointed not to find one that the ICEX lady from Pamplona offered to send me one by post. Thank god for that or I’ll be really pissed.

That's Hemmingway's cafe bottom right

The hotel we stayed in, Hotel Palacio de Guendulain, was really lovely. It was an old palace from the 17th century that was recently converted into a 5 star hotel. It was only 2 months old when we stayed there. Classic medieval deco. Precious. They even had the Count’s old carriage and some antique cars on display.

Hotel Palacio de Guendalain

One thing about our Spanish hosts are they know how to treat us well. Brought us to a fancy restaurant again on the first night called La Nuez, direct translation meaning the walnut. Lovely food. I preferred this meal to Mugaritz (they’ll kill me for this I know) but that’s just simple me. I like my food to look like what it’s supposed to be.

Restaurante La Nuez

They brought us to a nice fancy tapas bar the next night. Tapas bars are not supposed to be a sit down affair but this one was because they were heading in that direction. Restaurant was called Roncesvalles and the owner Miguel Sanchez, spent a good whole night layaning us. Young (29 years old!) & good looking but unfortunately married.

Roncesvalles, vinos y pintxos

Oh, didn’t make it to MNG either cause it was closed by the time I got there. But bought a pair of boots from Zara and explored their huge Cortes de Ingles, a huge 8 storey shopping complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you...